Here in Houston, it seems our daily lives are just getting filled up with more and more to do. Because of this, it can be fairly easy to forget about your AC unit till something breaks. With temperatures in the 90’s in September of all things here in Houston, there really is not a good time for your air conditioning unit to go out. This is why, along with other reasons we will lay out, a yearly AC maintenance check is a good idea.
Why Maintenance Matters
Air conditioning units are complex machines with several components that all need to be in optimal condition for the system to run efficiently. Similar to how you wouldn’t drive your car for years without an oil change, your AC unit also requires periodic check-ups to function at its best.
One of the key benefits of regular maintenance is enhanced energy efficiency. A neglected AC system has to work much harder to maintain the desired indoor temperature, resulting in higher energy bills. Routine maintenance can help identify and fix issues that may be forcing your system to overwork, such as clogged filters or malfunctioning thermostats.
Longevity of the Unit
Regular maintenance can substantially extend the lifespan of your AC unit. According to experts, an air conditioner that receives regular tune-ups can last up to 15 years, while neglected units may require replacement after just 7 to 10 years.
Improved Air Quality
Over time, dust, pollen, and other contaminants can accumulate in your air filters and ductwork, affecting the indoor air quality. Yearly maintenance checks include cleaning or replacing filters and inspecting ductwork, contributing to better air quality inside your home.
While there’s a cost associated with routine maintenance, it’s an investment that pays off. Regular inspections can identify minor issues before they become major problems requiring costly repairs. Moreover, a well-maintained AC operates more efficiently, saving you money on energy bills.
What Happens During a Yearly AC Maintenance Check?
A typical yearly AC maintenance check includes:
- Filter Replacement: Filters are either cleaned or replaced to ensure optimal airflow and better air quality.
- Coolant Level Check: Technicians will check the level of the refrigerant and refill it if necessary.
- Electrical Checks: All electrical components and connections are checked for wear and tear. Loose connections can be dangerous and reduce the lifespan of your AC unit.
- Condenser and Evaporator Coil Cleaning: These are cleaned to remove any buildup that could affect efficiency.
- Calibration of Thermostat: Ensures that the AC unit is cooling your home as efficiently as possible.
- Inspection of Ductwork: To identify any leaks or obstructions that can affect the system’s efficiency.
- Lubrication of Moving Parts: To reduce friction and wear on machinery parts.
- Drain Cleaning: The condensate drain is cleaned to prevent mold, water damage, and uneven cooling.
- System Test: Finally, the system is tested to make sure it’s working efficiently and quietly.
Preventive Maintenance vs Reactive Maintenance
Many homeowners adopt a reactive approach to AC maintenance, meaning they wait for something to go wrong before calling a technician. The downside to this approach is that you’re likely to spend more money fixing problems that could have been avoided with regular check-ups.
Preventive maintenance is a proactive approach, helping you catch issues before they become big problems. It’s generally less expensive to maintain an AC unit than to repair or replace it.
Yearly AC maintenance checks for your Houston home are not just a box to tick off; they are a wise investment in your home and well-being. By scheduling regular maintenance checks, you’re ensuring that your AC system works efficiently, you breathe cleaner air, and you extend the lifespan of your unit.
Don’t wait for a scorching Houston summer day to find out your AC isn’t up to the task. Make a yearly maintenance check a part of your routine to enjoy a cool, comfortable, and worry-free living environment.
Remember, when it comes to the health and efficiency of your AC, prevention is always better than cure. Book your yearly AC maintenance check with Be Cool AC and Heating to ensure a cool and comfortable home.